B. Tech – Computer Science is a type of bachelor’s degree, usually awarded after three or four years of collegiate study in computer science, but possibly awarded in fewer years depending on factors such as an institution’s course requirements and academic calendar. In some cases it can be awarded in five years. In general, computer science degree programs emphasize the mathematical and theoretical foundations of computing.
Basic skills of a Computer Engineering student
Computer engineering is mainly based on theories and principles of computation, physics, mathematics and engineering. These principles are applied to the resolution of technical problems which require the creation and development of software, hardware and network architectures.
Computer Engineering studies are intended for people with a vocation oriented towards the scientific aspects that are found under the development and evolution of computer science and with high capabilities to lead the development of computer-related projects, as well as a great adaptability to fast and continuously evolving environments.
The general educational objectives pursued by the degree of Computer Engineering are:
Providing the general skills to cover the areas of Computer Science as well as the sciences and technologies in which it is based.
Offering a wide range of subjects, enabling subsequent specialization in the various professional areas of the Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) sector.
Keeping a balance between theoretical and applied knowledge.
Maintaining a high degree of flexibility to embrace the continuous and rapid evolution of modern computer systems.
Helping students to become professionals and researchers who can carry out their functions effectively.
Providing an adequate basis for graduates to continue their education throughout their lives, either on their own or through postgraduate studies.
The specific skills that are proposed in the B.S of Computer Engineering are the following:
- Ability to conceive, write, organize, plan, develop and sign projects in the field of computer engineering whose purpose is the development or exploitation of computer systems, services and applications.
- Ability to direct the activities that are the object of the projects in the field of information technology.
- Ability to design, develop, evaluate and ensure the accessibility, ergonomics, usability and security of computer systems, services and applications, as well as the information they manage.
- Ability to define, evaluate and select hardware and software platforms for the development and execution of computer systems, services and applications.
- Ability to conceive, develop and maintain computer systems, services and applications using software engineering methods as a tool for quality assurance.
- Ability to design and develop centralized or distributed computing systems or architectures integrating hardware, software and networks.
- Ability to know, understand and apply the necessary legislation during the development of the profession of Technical Engineer in Computer Science and handle specifications, regulations and standards of obligatory compliance.
- Knowledge of the basic subjects and technologies, that qualify for the learning and development of new methods and technologies.
- Ability to solve problems with initiative, decision making, autonomy and creativity. Ability to communicate and transmit the knowledge, skills and abilities of the profession of B.S. in Computer Science.
- Knowledge for carrying out measurements, calculations, valuations, valuations, appraisals, expert appraisals, studies, reports, task planning and other similar computer-related work.
- Ability to analyze and assess the social and environmental impact of technical solutions, including the ethical and professional responsibility of the activity of the Technical Engineer in Computer Science.
- Knowledge and application of basic elements of economics and human resources management, project organization and planning, as well as legislation, regulation and standardization in the field of computer projects.
- To provide the skills to analyses a computer problem by studying its viability, calculating its computational complexity and applying algorithmic solutions that ensure the greatest efficiency.
- Acquire in-depth knowledge of the fundamental principles of computing and know how to apply them in both classical and emerging paradigms.
- To achieve the student’s commitment to self-learning as an instrument of professional development and responsibility.
- Foundation of programming languages and associated lexical, syntactic and semantic processing techniques.
- Ability to evaluate the computational complexity of a problem and to know algorithmic strategies that can lead to its resolution.
- Computational learning techniques and automatic extraction of information from large volumes of data.
- Ability to understand an organization’s environment and its ICT needs.
- Security in computer systems.
- Management of projects, services and computer systems in all areas, leading their implementation and continuous improvement and assessing their economic and social impact.
- Administration and maintenance of computer systems, services and applications.
- Algorithmic procedures of information technologies to design solutions to problems, analysing the suitability and complexity of the proposed algorithms.
- Data Types and Data structures suitable to the resolution of a problem.
- Operating Systems.
- Design of Internet-based applications.
- Design, analysis and implementation of applications based on databases.
- Parallel, concurrent, distributed and real time programming.
- Principles, methodologies and life cycles of software engineering.